DisneyScrappers

The Largest Free-Standing Sphere in the World  -- 165 feet in diameter and 180 feet tall

– and what do we use it for? Let’s put an attraction in there!

Yes, folks we’re talking about Spaceship Earth at EPCOT.

But it’s not even close to the largest thing at EPCOT. If you could pick it up (you know, it weighs 16 million pounds so that might not be so easy!) – you could put it IN the main tank at the Living Seas and completely submerge it.

It took two years to build the Sphere. If it were just a ball – it would be made up of 11,520 isosceles triangles but some of them are taken up with attachments to the legs, and access hatches and the like.

Here’s a page of Susan’s highlighting the exterior of Spaceship Earth

Views: 44

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Interesting facts Merrick

Lovely photo of you and your family and love Susan's page

Holy cow I never would of guessed it weighed that much!

LOVE LOVE LOVE spaceship earth! love the ride in every version too.

So here's what I don't get... is there really an attractive toon INSIDE the sphere or under it? I find this part of ECOT to be the most confusing when trying to plan my trip. I just don't get Future World.
It's actually inside the sphere ... check this out :
https://malloryobryant.wordpress.com/2011/09/13/the-design-and-cons...’s-spaceship-earth/
Wow! That's a huge drop at the end!! Really interesting regarding all the engineering and construction hurdles. I forgot Raybradbury helped with the story for the attraction!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Disney Scrappers is a small group of people who share a passion for all things Disney and the scrapbooking and paper crafting that it inspires. 

We have a fantastic gallery of Disney layouts, so stop by and get inspired - leave a comment or two if you have time. We would love for you to share your Disney layouts here as well. We also enjoy talking about Disney parks, music, rides, attractions, and scrapbooking, so please visit the forum and say hello!

We thank you for your interest in Disney Scrappers and hope you’ll join us for continued magical inspiration!

© 2017   Created by susan stringfellow.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service